CC Willow art store

Friday, June 8, 2012

Anniversary

I’m not sure I have learned my lessons;
the ache has not lessened but expanded.
Your absence takes up so much room -
A year – you are not camping.
I know- I remember that whispering hospital;
urging you back, and at times you did.
But you couldn’t stay. And so I lied to you.

            I said I would be okay.
Promised. You could go.

And I’m not. Even now
I feel like one on life support.
“Just get through the day. Just get through”
but at night the sound of you doesn’t breathe
And I lay there, waiting for them to start again.
Pretend you’re just gone camping.

The money is gone; I have not learned to budget.
Food is often take-out; still do not have the habit of cooking.
My phone reminds me to put out the trash can,
Pay the bills, buy groceries. I cling to it.

And at night – I have not learned to sleep
Without the breath of your sound.


Ariel
Nov 30, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment