CC Willow art store

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Bldg 3 Rm 116

This is this year's Valentine's Day poem. And a Waiting Room poem.
Arrin & I met while cast of "Annie Get Your Gun" - he was Wild Bill. I was an Indian Snake Dancer, Joshua played one of Annie's brothers, Tavis made his debut as one of the "indian" children. At that time Chemeketa did not have a theater per se; we used "found areas", in this case ...
_______________________________________

Bldg 3, Rm 116
*denotes lyrics to “No Business Like Show Business”,
Annie Get You Gun


As I stand here
again
where our story began
Can you be with me?
Here?
Here in this room
where our story began?
Even the carpet looks the same.
I like to think you are here right now,
I like to think that I can feel you here.

It was a good beginning

*“There’s no business like show business
No business I know;
Everything about it is appealing
Everything the traffic will allow
No where will you get that happy feeling
Then when you’re stealing
That extra bow”

Here was where written lines where given life
where music was given voice.
Here was where wood was hammered
& painted to become a stage.
Here is where we hung lights
and rehearsed
and choreographed
and took places in the spotlight.
Here was where there was an Annie
and a Wild Bill & a Buffalo
and a snake dancer.
Here there was you
and I
and our children.
Here there was flirtation in the beginning
& a family at the close.

It was a good beginning.

*There’s no people like show people
They smile when they are down
Even with that turkey
That you know will fold …
You may be stranded
Out in the cold.
Still you wouldn’t change it
For a sack of gold …

Let’s go on with the show …”

And now it is 22 years later And I
no longer know my lines, my role changed.
It’s is late and I’m visiting the room that started us

This carpet looks the same, blue with hints of orange –
(did they not even change the pattern?);
the deep blue seats with fold down writing trays,
no outward sign of aging.
The low steps we danced on,
the ceiling with the framework.
Curtains now hang down
framing a movie screen.
The walls are no longer temporary;
they have become permanent.

It was a good beginning.

Tomorrow is Valentine’s Day, and you
still remain my valentine – I am alone.
Though I like to think you are here,
here in this room with me right now.
I could be deceiving myself. But I like to think
I can feel right now, here with me.
I don’t know what to do about our son –
your son. He doesn’t want me. …
Our sons and their alienation –
things are de-evolving on me;
I can’t script us back together again,
can’t choreograph the steps to take.

But here?
Here was a good beginning.

Let’s go
on with the show.

Ariel
Feb 13, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment