CC Willow art store

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Snuffed

and yet another poem for Arrin's son ...


Snuffed

I don’t keep a candle
            in the window for you anymore.
I snuffed them & in fact
            keep the window dark 

So I can see out it
            scan the perimeter
in case you start a sortie
            an incursion.

I won’t be caught unprepared
            this time;
you have taken the mask off
            too many times for me to forget;
Your smile is a mask you wear
            misleading, disarming. Dangerous
as holding a hand
            right above a flame;
flesh gets burnt, gets scarred
            at any close proximity. 

What was harder was snuffing out
            my heart and bias for you,
reminding myself true family is
            a way people treat each other;
Love is an active verb
            and burns truer than any words.

So for you – my heart is covered.
            you have taught that to me –
your proxy mother that scattered
            candles throughout our home,
the one who kept a room for you
            no matter how far or long you roamed -
but then, I did not realize
            you’ll bring the violence home.
I didn’t realize you burned with it,
            that it lived beneath the mask. 

 

Ariel
Nov 5, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment