CC Willow art store

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

emet


Every day I die
lose my soul as my body decays
back to cosmic dust
Every day I lose myself still further among entropy;
and death is not a peaceful act
no relaxation, no lessening of cares.
My body heaves, hunkers, shudders -
a whirl storm of ground matter & mud
and then I must re-gather,
find the core of me disintegrated
among the molecular debris.

It was not always a solo act, I forgot that -
how you would take my chilled body into your arms,
fed me warmth back into my muscles,
engraved the glyphs on my forehead -
Children. Home. Love. Work.
Invoked my names,
whispered to me all the pestilence
that would befall my continued death;
leaving me no choice but to choose again
to live. A conscious act of will -
to rein my traitorous body back under control:
it is not always a solo act. I forgot that.

Today, as I lay dying,
I looked for you,
that North Star of what is solid;
this was not meant to be a solo act
nor one I wanted to define myself with every day -
wondering what version of me will be birthed today,
what transformation this time, what will split off,
diminished by what memory,
what knowledge will be left behind
in the debris.

This can’t be a solo act;
pulling back the dead like a golem.
I needed you to write
the glyphs on my forehead;
Children. Home. Love. Work.
I need someone to write the glyphs,
to call me by my names and pull me back -
cohesive, layer by layer, as Ariel sorts.
(It is not a spinning of the wheel;
it is reweaving the tears in the cloth,
it is burning - then rising from the ashes, the mud,
it is a passing of the torch.)
This can’t be a solo act.


Ariel
April 2, 2011


* In some tales, a golem is inscribed with Hebrew words that keep it animated. The word emet (אמת, "truth" in the Hebrew language) written on a golem's forehead is one such example. The golem could then be deactivated by removing the aleph (א) in emet, thus changing the inscription from 'truth' to 'death' (met מת, "dead").

No comments:

Post a Comment