CC Willow art store

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Happened on Fifth Floor


I've been dropping everything
            spilling everything
since admittance
so fustrated even my fingers won't work
            feet refuse to cooperate.
doesn't matter how stern my will or thought -
"don't do that" results in my "doing that"

I saw it happening before it happened
my dinner brought to me like a precious gift
mongolian stirfry, a mish-mash of meat, brocoli, carrots
slippery noodles
sesame oil
thin sterofoam box holding the reserve
on top I sat a small plate,
this night's portion I had heated,
I saw it happening, the small box slowly slipping
away & down out of my hand,
reached up for the soccor-mom-save
            and then my foot
drugged the carpet, echoed the pull of gravity on the box
pitching me forward (slow mo for the viewing
pleasure of those waiting) the small plate
flipping over and landing on top of
the warm noodles, elegantly flipping open the box
like a skydiver's parachute so it landed empty
the stirfry now surrounded me
and I, hungry and surrendered, could only look
at the food I must now throw away,
I saw it happening, watched the stain
of sesame oil leak onto the carpet,
saw that nothing was salvageble.

I picked up the traitorous box
used my fingers as a rake and scooped up
the man'age of meat, too embarrased to lift
my head - a Wife who could not be trusted with food -
even children made less mess. I saw it happening
before it happened. my hands, no longer
needing to be active in the joke
perfunctedly performed their chore as I knelt
with lowered head. this was the first food for many hours -
too afraid to miss the Doctors' evaluation before.
I saw it happening before it happened
and failed to stop it. and now
I would go hungry, an unforeseen
punishment. accepted it even
as my mind railed "unfair!"
straightened myself up
with my staining burden

to find a Daughter,
her hand holding a few dollars
"here", she said, "I heard.
let me buy you dinner"
how did that happen?


Ariel
Dec 9, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment